History of the German Geological Society (DGGV)
The German Geological Society Deutsche Geologische Gesellschaft - Geologische Vereinigung e.V.(DGGV) came into being from a merge of two societies: the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Geowissenschaften (DGG) and the Geologische Vereinigung e.V. (GV) joined forces on 1st of January 2015, thus uniting more than 3.500 members.
The oldest German Geological Society Deutsche Geologische Gesellschaft (DGG) was founded in 1848 and, in 2004, joined together with the Gesellschaft für Geowissenschaften (GGW), founded in 1954, to form the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Geowissenschaften (also abbreviated: DGG).
On 1st of January 2015, the DGG merged with the "Geologischen Vereinigung e.V. (GV), which had been founded in 1910. The society resulting from this merge is called Deutsche Geologische Gesellschaft - Geologische Vereinigung e.V. (DGGV). In that same year, DGGV took part in the founding of the umbrella organization Dachverband der Geowissenschaften (DVGeo).
In DGGV’s founding year, the board consisted of the president, Reinhard Gaupp, and the board members Gerhard Greiner, Ralf Littke, Heinz-Gerd Röhling und Gernold Zulauf. The first elections of board and advisory board took place in September 2015.
In 2016, the section TSK (= tectonics, structural geology, crystalline geology) was established.
One of DGGV’s most important tasks is the management of its bibliotheca, incorporated into the university of Potsdam. Furthermore, a close cooperation is fostered with the archive for the history of geology in Freiburg (Geologen-Archiv), which contains more than 100.000 documents about the history of geology.
DGGV honours special achievements in the field of geosciences by awarding several medals every year, e.g.:
- Rolf- and Marlies-Teichmüller-Prize
Furthermore, the title “honorary chair” and “honorary member” can be awarded. More information can be found here: “honours“