Historie Deutsche Gesellschaft für Geowissenschaften
In 1848, the German Geological Society (DGG) was founded as the first organization of German geologists. Founding members were, among others, Leopold von Buch (1st chairman) and Alexander von Humboldt.
The society’s principal concern was the promotion of geology in scientific research and teaching, as well as in industry and administration. It was represented by a chairmanship, a board and an advisory board, the members of which came from universities and research institutes as well as from industry and from the geological surveys.
When founding the society, it was decided to publish a journal – and that journal still exists today (ZDGG).
One of DGGV’s most important tasks is the management of its bibliotheca, incorporated into the university of Potsdam. Furthermore, a close cooperation is fostered with the archive for the history of geology in Freiburg (Geologen-Archiv).
In 1948, DGG celebrated its 100th anniversary with a meeting in Hannover.
DGGV honors special achievements in the field of geosciences by awarding several medals every year, e.g.: Hans-Stille-Medal, die Serge-von-Bubnoff-Medal, den Hermann-Credner-Prize and the Leopold-von-Buch-Badge. Particularly talented young scientists were granted scholarships.
Early on DGG found an answer to the progressing specialization within geology: the sections hydrogeology and engineering geology were founded in the 1970s. In 1994, the society for environmental geosciences joined DGG (until 2004), and in 1995 the section geoinformatics. Finally, in 1996, the section geotope protection was taken in.
In 2004, the Gesellschaft für Geowissenschaften (GGW), founded in 1954 in former East Germany, was merged with the German Geological Society. The new name from then on was Deutsche Gesellschaft für Geowissenschaften (abbr.: DGG).
On the 1st of January 2015, DGG merged with the Geologischen Vereinigung (GV) to form today’s society DGGV.